Thursday, March 1, 2018

Story Week 7: Karna and Arjuna

Hello, again time for another story this week.

There are two brothers, the name is Karna and Arjuna.  Their mother's name is Kunti, she raised both of them with real care and giving good guidance to each other on what to do and what not to do.  They both were good a archery almost as if they are one person with one mind, their accuracy is perfect and always achieve everything together.  If one brother is getting bullied other brother will step on will fight for that's how much they love each other.  They both belong to the wealthy family and came from a rich background, they didn't have to face as many problems as common people who were poor.

One afternoon Arjuna asks his older brother Karna, why do they have the different life than other people around them?  Karna didn't have an answer and he said: "Let's go ask answer from our mother, maybe she will be able to answer."  They both went to their home and ask their mother the same question. 

Kunti thought that they need to know who they were and what they are meant to be.  Kunti said, "You both are princes of the Hastinapur and the king of Hastinapur is your father Pandu who died while back and his older brother whose name is Dhritarashtra was crowned as king."

Karna and Arjuna both thought that is why people treated us differently.  Kunti also said, "We cannot go unless you both become better in everything and no one can challenge you two."  They started studying diligently and become the better princes.  Nobody could challenge Karna and Arjuna and they all went to back to Hastinapur.

Once they reach the kingdom of Hastinapur, the king was happy to crown Karna as a king of Hastinapur.  However, the eldest son of Dhritarashtra name Duryodhana didn't like that and he protests that by saying "Karna cannot become the king of Hastinapur, as I who is the son of current king Dhritarashtra shall be the one who will become king.  Not the people who left the kingdom as soon as the king Pandu died." 

Karna said "I know that you next in line but my father king Pandu was king before your father.  The only reason he is king because I was really young to take care of the whole kingdom so I went to finish my studies so I can take care of my kingdom when I became king."

Duryodhana said, "Let's decide by fight one on one between me and you and the one who will win becomes the king."

Karna said, "Let's do it."

I forgot to mention that Karna is the son of Suryadeva who is Sun God.  He was born with armor and earrings, which made him invincible and nobody knows besides Arjuna and Kunti.  Arjuna becomes the charioteer for Karna and guided him in the battle against Duryodhana.  No attack work against Karna and Duryodhana could not stop the rain of arrow that Karna was shooting at him.

Duryodhana thought that he has no chance of winning and uses an underhanded trick to make Karna lose by attacking ground.  Karna chariot wheel stuck on that ground and Karna said to Duryodhana, "Please, stop attacking it against the rule to hurt helpless man on the battlefield." However, Duryodhana kept attacking him not that any attack was able to hurt Karna because of invincible armor and earrings.  Arjuna got hurt because he is charioteer and Karna got angry and tried to kill Duryodhana but he stops as last moment while Karna arrow was pointed near his neck. 

Duryodhana said, "I lost and you win which means you are the king of Hastinapur."

At last Karna was crowned as a king of Hastinapur.


Author note:  The made the whole story different where Karna and Arjuna fight each other and one of them died.  I made it where they both grew up together and Karna become king because he was supposed to be king because he was the oldest brother out of all five Pandu brother.  Made Karna fight with Duryodhana, but actually, he was with Duryodhana when Mahabharata happen.  I only showed two bother no other brothers because my main focus was on Karna and Arjuna this time.

Bibliography:  Author is Donald A. Mackenzie, PDE Mahabharata: Arjuna and Karna.


Krishan and Karna

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jeet! I hated that Arjuna and Karna never got along in the original stories. I actually rewrote their relationship as well. I love that they were able to grow up and learn together. I wondered how Arjuna felt about Karna getting the kingdom instead of him. Was he jealous but understanding? Was he happy for his brother? Did they rule together or was Arjuna Karna's most trusted advisor? Anyways, I love what you've done with these brothers and really nice job with your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Jeet! I liked the adjustment you made to the relationship of Arjuna and Karna. How do you think the story continued after the point where it ends in this example? I would be really interested in how you think it would work out. I wish you good luck with the rest of the class and hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeet, I liked the lay out of your story, but if I would change one thing it would be the placement of the author's notes. I have come to like them at the beginning of the posts as it provides the background info early. This was a fun story to read. I spotted a typo in the fourth paragraph. "They started studying diligently and become the better princes". I believe "and become" should be "and became" I wonder what will happen now that Karna is the king.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jeet. Interesting retelling of the original story. I think your changes worked really well and explained the characters actions. Your story reads weird and a lot of the sentences are choppy. This made it a bit confusing but I assume that English is not your first language. I liked your focus on the two brothers and their relationship. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeet, I liked that in your story Kunti kept Karna and he got to grow up with his mother and brothers. I think it shows what could have been and how happy Arjuna would have been growing up with Karna. They both are great warriors and it is sad that Karna must die because he is loyal to the wrong person. I also like that you have Karna crowed at the rightful King since he was the true eldest son. Great job, I'll try and come back later on to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jeet!
    This was a great version of this story. I hated it that the brothers were always fighting with each other, so I love that you changed that aspect. I think it was a smart choice to only focus on Karna and Arjuna. You were able to give these two more attention and develop their characters more thoroughly. Awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeet! I loved how you changed up this story to make it where the brothers aren't fighting! The original version was kind of sad and you turned it around to show how happy Arjuna was. Karna was also the rightful king which was a change. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more of your stories! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete